Geek Family

Geek Family
So, like, what's up?

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas 2011: Beach Party!

We tried something new this year: Christmas at the beach. I am happy to report that it was every bit, if not more, fabulous than I anticipated. Not that it was perfect; a bit o' family drama involving chlorinated hair and perhaps someone accused someone else of drinking all her rum before she had a chance to return to her rightful armchair after changing someone's dirty diaper, but all in all, a smashing success. Here are a few pics recounting our vacay, but fortunately, none of me in a swimsuit. If the year was 1997, then yeah, I'd be plastering photos of my nineteen year old bikini-clad self all over this here blog. But this year, 2011, I borrowed one of my mom's swimsuits because the only ones I have are maternity. Needless to say, all pictures of me will show me appropriately clothed. Although I did wear my pajamas to the beach. You can't win 'em all.
Here we are, playing rummy. Grandma there on the left side of the table is the Queen of Rummy and I tell you what, I am the World's Worst Rummy Player. I won once but I think I cheated. I included this pic because of how eerily alike my mother and I are. Heed this warning, my daughters: this is your future. 
GH shucked oysters. In the condo bathroom. Really, I have no more to say. 
The weather was gorgeous. It was supposed to rain the whole time we were down there but it didn't. Christmas on the beach just feels so right. 
This girl does look attractive in the warm light cast from the setting sun. This picture was taken before the Great Hair Debate of Xmas 2011 in which I emerged victorious after a three hour battle culminating in me forcing her head under a faucet and washing three days' worth of chlorine out of her grimy, stank hair. Not a high point of our vacation. 
Lotsa shells. Most of them came home with us. After being washed out. In, guess where? That's right, the condo bathroom. 
Sunset, followed by rum. Or was it rum followed by sunset? Either way, glorious! 
The only intact sand dollar on the entire Florida Panhandle and guess what, MOS broke it. On purpose! Did you see him, Mother! He smashed it! On purpose! On purpose! ARGH! (I surreptitiously poured rum in my coffee at this point and tried to look innocent.) 
Key and Grandpa and their chickens. Little pecking chickens. Never turn your back on them. 
I do love both of these people ever so much. 
Same story with these two. Much love!
Grandpa just told Tiny that joke about the rabbi, the butcher, and the priest walking into a bar. She thought it was hilarious! 
SWAK! 
I knit GG2 this hat for Christmas. Key attempted to filch it but I caught her. I am now on the hook for at least one, if not more, of these hats to bedeck Key's noggin. Best get to knittin'. 
Christmas on the beach. Is there anything better?

1 comment:

Lok said...

How much do I love all these pictures????? I would comment on each of them, but alas, I can not. A widdle person in my lap will cause me to lose my religion if I tried. So, I'll pick...... um.... okay, that one. The one of your mom and the boy? Abso. Lutely. Perfecto!!!