Geek Family

Geek Family
So, like, what's up?

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mother's Only Son


Here is MOS, sucker punching his dad. One of his favorite activities, he does know that sucker punching his sisters or his mother is unacceptable. So he saves them all up for Daddy when he gets home. Daddy loves coming home.


I knew I wanted at least one daughter; God saw fit to give me three, for which I am eternally and utterly grateful. I love my daughters, their drama, their sweetness, their gentle spirits, the fits that they pitch...my girls are challenging and delightful and I love every day that I spend with them. 

God also, however, saw fit to give me MOS. I wasn't too sure about the whole boy thing, having two daughters already and really wanting a third....but there on the ultrasound, WHAM! a boy. GH was more shocked than I was; he thought he could only produce girl babies. 


When MOS was born, he looked like a potato. His looks have improved. Fortunately.


In appearance, this child resembles his father. In attitude, behavior, strength of personality, and temper...yeah, definitely his mother. My mother says he is a lot more confident than I was at his age; I guess that's good but confidence in my son equals strong-willed dynamics that threaten to send me to the loony bin weekly. Sometimes daily. And before he could talk, well, hourly. But I guess it's what I deserve...I was uncooperative, stubborn, resistant to authority, bossy, and generally temperamental.  I shouldn't have said "was," I guess...I should have said "am persistently." It stands to reason that I would produce a difficult child.

Lots of moms that have boys say things like "He is so sweet. His hugs melt my heart. He gives such sweet kisses and says, "I wuv you, Mommy.'" I roll my eyes (sometimes just in my brain, not in real life) and wish that I had a boy like that. Because MOS most definitely is not sweet, he does not willingly hug or kiss me, and he rarely says "I wuv you, Mommy." Instead, he says "Me mad at you. Me angry wif you." A lot.

MOS throws, kicks, hits, bites, swings, whacks things with sticks, flings, stomps, wallops, whops, flushes, pillages, and generally wrecks everything. However, he is usually cheerful and willing to go along with whatever games his big sisters have come up with, up to and including Kitty, Princess, and Cheetah. Guess which one MOS gets to be!?!?

He will on occasion sit on my lap and proffer his cheek for me to kiss. Hugs are only for bedtime and given with a resigned air. Sometimes, after I pray with him, tell him that he is fearfully and wonderfully made and that Mommy and Daddy love him very much, he responds, "You best mommy whole wide world." So I am happy with that...not a bad compliment coming from a two year old.


But he does love his Baby.


Maybe it's just boys in general, or maybe only boys like my son...but he is such a contradictory creature. On the one hand, he needs me desperately, fiercely, constantly....and then he turns and wallops me with a plastic bat, screaming wildly as he pretends to cut me in half. The constant push and pull of his personality is very tiring, but I know that he needs me to be firm, to be strong, and most importantly, to not break. It is challenging, most days, to stand up to the onslaught of his personality and activity level. I guess if he was my only child it would be easier, but I have three girls, too, and they need me also. Or maybe it would be a lot harder if he was my only child. Too much attention might be bad for him and make him even more tyrannical than he already is. 

I do know that I am glad that I am such a tough woman; if I was wimpy I wouldn't have made it past his first birthday. He will be a strong man, that's for sure. I just want to harness all his power and strength and determination for good. God has a definite purpose and plan for this son of mine; I pray daily for the ability to raise him up properly so that he will fulfill whatever wonderful destiny God has created for him. I know also that God has equipped me to raise this boy. Maybe that's why MOS has such a dynamic personality; if he was a bit milder, I might overlook him in the midst of swirling daughters that dominate our house. But MOS will never be overlooked, never be ignored, and most importantly, never be forgotten. Plus, he's already scarred most of us with a stick or rock, so we've got those marks to stay with us forever.

No comments: