Geek Family

Geek Family
So, like, what's up?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Our First Ballet Recital

Last weekend was GG1 and GG2's first dance recital. I thought they were absolutely brilliant, of course. However, I will totally admit that I am biased. They had a good time and both looked beautiful and elegant.  All these pics are from the dress rehearsal since the night of the recital I was occupied the entire time with GG3 and MOS who chose that evening to behave like tiny little crazy people. GG3 would look up, see her father filming from the balcony, and scream "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" MOS refused to sit quietly and watch the dancers; instead, he screamed loudly every time more little girls came out on stage, demanding to know if that was his sister. Most of the time, it wasn't.
Hair and makeup. Sorta torturous for GG1. I had to use gel and a bristly brush which is apparently an instrument of the devil. 
I was feeling puckish because I didn't get to dance, so I gave myself a pair of wicked dog ears. I looked adorable. 
Waiting to go on stage. I was fiddling with my camera and didn't get the light quite right for several minutes, so please excuse the terrible pictures. 
I really enjoyed the first part of the recital which showcased each class and let the girls show off what techniques they had been learning this year. GG1 is the second from the left with her back to the audience and GG2 is the last little teeny weency ballerina on the right. She's the youngest in the class but did just fine. 
Here they are lining up to show their skipping technique. It was every bit as cute as you can imagine. 
At the end they did a pirouette. 
Here is GG2 in mid-spin, looking doubtful. She was first and wasn't sure where to go next.
Here is GG2 and her ballet buddy, doing their sideways skipping. Her ballet buddy is also young but they hung in there with the big girls.
Here is GG1 and her ballet buddy doing the spin thing they did which was adorable but I don't know the proper name of. 
Here is GG2 and her ballet buddy spinning. I feel quite certain that GG2 is steady running her mouth, telling her ballet buddy what to do or asking her what's next or wondering what the snack is going to be or....you get the picture.
A lovely plie by GG1. No one else is plie-ing, so I'm not sure she was supposed to, but it sure looks nice.
GG2 has Mommy-radar so I know she sensed the camera was pointing at her and she brightened up with her best ballerina smile!

GG1, on the other hand, cared not for facial niceties and looked grim pretty much the whole time. Sorta how she looks most of the time in general.
Getting ready for the grand finale.....
 And BAM! Perfect ending! Applause! Much joy! Let's go eat some cupcakes! 

There were lots more dances during the recital but I didn't take pictures of them. GH videotaped the recital (remember GG3's screams?) and the whole thing was very, very lovely. I grew up riding horses but I sure have enjoyed being a ballet mom this year. Not as smelly. Thanks Mrs. Jessica and Mrs. Suzanne, of Center Pointe Dance for making my girls' first ballet experience so enjoyable. 

3 comments:

Dee Dee said...

I love the picture of the ending pose - too precious and by far my favorite part of the whole dance. Looks like they're really worshipping!

Lok said...

LOVE! Those ballerinas are adorable, and you are correct. That plie' is SPOT ON. Very proud of GG1!

Sisterinlawgonewild said...

Beautiful!!!