This summer started off with a wallop of heat that was thoroughly uncharacteristic and unexpected. I hurried to Big Lots and bought a name-brand slip 'n slide, went home, hooked it up, turned it on, and heard that heart-wrenching pop that means we are to be denied slip 'n slide fun once again. And this stupid one hadn't even lasted one usage! GH took it back and got a refund; the people at Big Lots are nice about things like that.
That night, as the kids drooped desultorily around the back yard as the sun was setting, since that was the only time it was bearable to be outside, I turned to Google and found the following website: Make your own slip 'n slide. Presto! Project time! I went to the Wal Mart, bought all the supplies, avoided the people of Wal Marts as much as possible, and we built our slip 'n slide this morning. Took about an hour, even with all the kids helping. GH and I have gotten way better about doing projects together; I used to make him cry in frustration and threaten me with power tools. Or maybe it was the other way around. I forget. Anyway, we had a really good time and our new slip 'n slide is so fabulous. I really wish we had done this five years ago; would have saved me a ton of money as well as irritation!
Supplies:
roll of 6 mil plastic; ours is 10' x 25'
8 pool noodles
self-stick super strength velcro
4 tent stakes
hose & sprinkler
I think the key to making the whole thing work so well is that you velcro the pool noodles in place along the sides and one end and then turn the whole thing over; this action puts the vulnerable edges on the bottom, leaving the sliding surface smooth and free of potential snags. We all slid down it multiple times; I, of course, was the superior slider and had the best form of all. If you don't believe me, check out the pictures and be prepared to be astounded and amazed. We used this bad boy all day and the only drawback was that GG1 slipped and slid so much that she bruised up her forearms and knees and GG2 bruised her knees! Battle wounds...in the battle for fun! (Sorry, that was so geeky I even grossed myself out)
Walking the flight line, checking for sticks.
GG3 opted for a slightly more redneck approach to staying cool. Standing water in the top of the dog house. Always a classic!
Rolling and and applying velcro to keep the noodles in place.
Hammering the tent stakes in the corners.
Hose application and the beginning of fun.
May the sliding delight commence. As we can clearly see, I had delightful form and a chipper sense of je ne sais quoi about the whole process.
Action shot! I guess this explains GG1's bruised forearms!
2 comments:
Fabulous! Have a great time slip-n-slidin this summer.
Slip N Slide! We had more fun with these back when I weighed about 65 pounds dripping wet. Kathleen, I wholeheartedly admire your ability to get in there with the best of them. You show an athletic grace and sense of timing that left me about 23 years ago. Good times, good times.
Post a Comment