Geek Family

Geek Family
So, like, what's up?

Saturday, December 04, 2010

A Birfday a While Ago


Last month was Key's birthday and to celebrate we did something we've not done for an adult in a long, long, time: decorated and threw a party! Well, "threw a party" means we hung up streamers and a ball thingie, had matching plates and napkins, and put the cupcakes on the table. But still! When was the last time you threw a party for an adult? Oh, really? Not that long ago, eh? You're more on top of things than I am, I guess. For instance, for my last birthday GH handed me a Wal-Mart bag and said, "Here you go. It's a gift certificate to the yarn store." That's how we do it around here.


GG1 had a blast and the decorations were all her idea, as were the black and white cupcakes. That black icing was no mean feat, I tell ya. It was a dark chocolate cream cheese icing and it totally stained every item it touched. Man, I love things stained with black!


We made Key a painting with the kids' hands as undersea creatures. They did all of it except outlining their hands with Sharpies. I did that, because I don't like black stains on things...oh, wait, never mind.


Key loved it, of course. Grandparents have to love handmade stuff. It's a rule. Plus, we worked on it every day for five days, so if she didn't appreciate it, her daughter (that's me) would have gone and flung herself down on her bed and sobbed. So Key clapped and cheered and made big over it. Thanks, Key.


And then GG3 insisted that we get this party started. So we did. I didn't take pictures of us eating the black cupcakes, for which you should be eternally grateful.

No comments: