Geek Family

Geek Family
So, like, what's up?

Thursday, December 09, 2010

Christmases of Yore


What we have here is my favorite Christmas ornament. For some reason, I love this one, always have. Obviously, it's old. My mother doesn't remember where it came from, but I'm guessing Hallmark. I don't know why I like it so much, but every year that I can remember I have taken great pains to hang it where it looks just right on the tree.


Even as an adult, I smile when I take it out of the box and hang it up. Maybe it's the snow-covered house, maybe it's the warm domesticity of the scene. Who knows. It's cute and the birds have their own tree in their house which I then hang on my tree in my house. A logic puzzle of some sort, perhaps?


I have several ornaments from my childhood, like this one. I think my mom cross stitched it but it might have been one of my aunts. Fun ornaments that are delightful and familiar.


Like this felt Winnie the Pooh. I believe that my cousin's grandmother made it for me. I think she also made a Kermit the Frog, but I couldn't find him this year.


Of course, I also have lots of horse ornaments. I had a vision when I was a newlywed that I would magically pull my disparate decorating ideas together and create a house teeming with order, symmetry, and coordinating color palettes. My Christmas tree, however, reflects my true self: 


Cluttered, multi-colored, a bit lopsided, and teeming with children in costumes. But it's a cheery tree and a cheery house, so I can't complain.


This angel has sat at the top of my tree for more years than I care to remember. She is made of a toilet paper tube. I kid you not.


But she has a sweet face, so I forgive her offensive body structure.


Every year when I unpack Christmas decorations I find this ornament and weep the tears of a bitter woman that I will never look like this again. But that's okay, because neither will GH. Look like me, I mean. He still looks pretty much just like he did when we got married eleven years ago. It's not fair. I am a hag, an absolute weary, embittered hag, and he's still dreamy. I demand a recount!


Ah, SpongeBob Square Pants. My children's favorite ornament. He adds such a je ne sais quoi to the tree, don't you think? And pretty much undermines all of my efforts at graceful decor and a delicate touch. Thanks, Sponge Bob, for keeping it real at Chez Geek. Rock on.

2 comments:

MagiMae said...

I love your tree. There is neither rhyme nor reason and every ornament has a story. That cousin dear, is my kind of tree.

Unknown said...

I love your tree too - it seems like mine - every ornament tells a story! And it's a great collection that only comes out once a year and doesn't have to be constantly dusted!!! :)